"The Write Start" Training
This event will take place between 2:00pm and 4:00pm on 18/11/2020.
About this Event
Many schools have been moving to a text-led approach to the teaching of writing, generating rich written outcomes and teaching the key knowledge and skills that pupils require to become successful writers. Over three sessions, teachers will be taken through the ‘learning journey’ from reading to writing, developing subject knowledge and exploring new approaches and techniques to take back to their classrooms to support pupils’ written outcomes throughout the writing process. Each session will explore effective and creative strategies and approaches at every stage of the learning journey.
The impact and feedback from teachers who have attended this type of writing input has been overwhelmingly positive:
I just wanted to say thank you very much for today it was very informative and helpful to all staff. We are all excited about teaching our next unit of writing!!! English Subject Leader, Oxfordshire
I have tried your method for writing for the first time over the last couple of weeks and I am overwhelmed by how well it has turned out. I just wanted to say a massive thank you for your guidance and support. Y4 teacher, Oxfordshire
As a Head, I felt that the day was well organised and set up first to inform but for the teachers to have planning to take away - something which is really important as they have something concrete to get their teeth into. Modelling by adults is for me key and it was good that this was reiterated throughout the day. Headteacher, Oxfordshire
A three-session course for teachers of writing. Ideally, at least two teachers per school should attend so that the learning from the CPD is reinforced and can be cascaded back in school. Attendance at all 3 sessions is vital to deliver the intended boost in writing skills and outcomes for pupils across the school.
Session leader: Susie Spolander - English Consultant
- 24th September 2020 14:00-16:00pm
- 15th October 2020 14:00-16:00pm
- 18th November 2020 14:00-16:00pm
• Overview of learning journey and mapping towards written outcomes
• Considering audience and purpose to inform writers’ choices
• Developing spoken language to support writing: vocabulary development, drama, role-play and oral work
• Exploring how reading informs writing: developing comprehension and text analysis
• Practical approaches for teaching embedded grammar for writing in the context of the journey
• The writing process: practical approaches to planning, drafting, reviewing, revising, editing, proof-reading and presenting writing.
• Drawing all elements of the journey together and evaluating the impact of approaches so far in school.
• Understand the learning journey approach to teaching writing: the links between reading and writing, how to embed and contextualise grammar, and the writing process itself.
• Explore effective and creative strategies and approaches for every stage of the learning journey.
• Develop skills and techniques to support pupils’ written outcomes throughout the writing process.
Follow-up Consultant Support
To follow up on the course information and to support teachers in embedding the Learning Journey approach, schools may choose to book some collaborative planning time with Susie Spolander. Collaborative planning sessions can be run in person or via an online meeting. They provide individual teachers or teaching teams with the opportunity to gain practical experience of planning a learning journey for their own class, as well as to discuss any aspects or concerns pertinent to their pupils. If you would be interested in booking a collaborative planning day or would like to find out more information, please contact Susie directly – firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost: For ODBST schools £45 per place. Non-ODBST schools £90 per place.